Sunday 17 July 2011

All Quiet on the Blogging Front

It's been one of those weekends where I have not even opened a book. This is ultra rare for me (and doesn't help me with all of the review commitments I have that are currently stacking up...), but I've had a super awesome weekend regardless.

On Saturday I went to Arundel with a group of ten other ladies - some work colleagues and friends. We do this each summer now - the first year we saw Jersey Boys in London, the second year we headed to London again to do the aqua tour of the city. This year we decided to stay a little closer to home. As well as drinking and eating WAAAAY too much, I also went here:


This is Arundel Castle, and I can ABSOLUTELY recommend it. There are tons of events going on over the summer, including jousting, and the castle itself is brilliant. There is a newer section - a mere 100 years old or so, which is lavishly furnished, including one table set for formal dining which is simply amazing to look at. And then there is the older section, dating from the 1600s. In this older section, you can head up to the battlements and peer through the arrow slits. You can climb up and down frighteningly steep spiral staircases and marvel at the fact soldiers used to run up and down them at speed. Just fantastic.... Here are some of the views from the battlement:


Incredibly, the family still lives in newer parts of the castle, and this is the entrance to their section:


After all that culture yesterday, today I went to Thorpe Park with my brother and Mark de Jager from My Favourite Books! Which might have been a small mistake with the raging hangover I had this morning *grins* I had brilliant fun, with great company, and it was super practice for my holiday to Florida in September (coming up fast now!)

At least.... I think I had fun - the picture below *might* present a slightly different view:


Finally, I get to sit down tonight and crack open a book - and I have plenty to choose from out of just some of the new arrivals through the door this week!






Did you get up to anything fun this weekend? Did you head out to watch Harry Potter? (something I didn't manage to fit in....Soon....) Are there any of the books above that you're particularly interested in?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had fun this weekend! I really like the look of Sarah Grant's Dark Parties myself :-) Can't wait to see you review it!

    ReplyDelete